Thursday, August 31, 2006
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Heading off to Bahrain for the weekend, they have a dirt golf course that we're looking into playing at! Sounds interesting! They've announced we're moving into 6 day weeks now, this weekend our last chance to escape Doha until the end of the Games in December. Basically they're not issuing Exit Permits or any leave after this weekend so we can't leave the country until December 15th!! Not happy about it but there's nothing we can do! Looking forward to getting some sun and relaxing all weekend!! Will post photos when I get back!
Monday, August 21, 2006
- Your idea of housework is leaving a list for the houseboy
- You send friends a map instead of your address
- You believe that speed limits are only advisory
- Your definition of a nanosecond is the time interval between the time the light turns green and the time that the guy behind you begins to blow his horn
- You're not surprised when you see a goat in a pick up truck
- You can't buy anything without asking for a discount
- You expect all stores to stay open till midnight
- You make left turns from the far right lane
- You understand why huge 4x4s must slow down to a snail's pace whilst crossing a speed bump yet hurtle through a wadi at 100kph
- You think it perfectly normal to have a picnic in the middle of a roundabout at 11pm
- You know exactly how much alcohol allowance you have left for the month
- You have a moon phase predictor on your computer
- You never say Saturday instead of Thursday or Sunday instead of Friday
- You accept that there is no point in asking why you are not allowed to do something
- You expect queues to be 1 person deep and 40 people wide
- You realize that the black and white stripes in the road are not a zebra crossing, just bait to get tourists into the firing line
- You know what night is ladies night at every bar in town
- Seeing guys welcome each other with a kiss no longer disgusts you
- You carry 12 passport size photos around with you just in case
- You can tell the time by listening to the local mosque
- You think its a good night if there are fewer than 10 men for every woman in a bar
- Phrases like 'potato peeler', 'dish washer', and 'fly swatter' are no longer household items but job titles
- You start to say "Insha'allah" when you actually mean "No f**king chance!"
- You overtake a police car at 130km/hr
- A problem with your car AC is more serious to you than a problem with the brakes
- You smoke a shisha in public without expecting to be arrested
- You think only men should hold hands in public
- You expect to go to jail when a local hits the back of your car at a stop sign
Its suprising how true this is!!!!
Easily had the best weekend since coming to Doha! Thursday night we headed over to the boys new apartment building for a pre-party before heading to the Diplomatic Club for there Global Dj's night! Had an absolute ball dancing, the music was awesome and everyone was so happy they weren't at the Ramada Hotel for the 5th week in a row dancing to a Filipino Band!!
GARVEYS:We decided to back Thursday up with a round of golf and beers and then off to Garveys for shots and shots! Kate had just broken it off with her fella so drinking was the answer!! Lots of casualities, the quote of the night going to Kate "Woody just spewed on my foot.. i'll be right back"!!
Thought we would back up a good weekend with a Sunday session at the Romada. It's a school night for us here in Doha but we heard an AFL match was being played followed by the first Chelsea match of the season so how could we miss out!? Any excuse really. Kate started off the roudiness by ripping up all her 1 Riyal notes and throwing them all over herself and anyone else she could! We took to the dancefloor with several hundreds of Filipino's, started a congo line and had the whole place flocking to the dancefloor to get involved. This turned into a massive circle with breakdancers and random idiots(us) dancing and chanting until the early hours of the morning! Awesome night, well worth the sore head yesterday!!
Wednesday, August 16, 2006
Monday, August 14, 2006
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Probably not the best place 7 ex-backpackers could have booked but we definitely made the most of it! Lots of fun to be had in hotel robes!! After disturbing our neighbours with our loud music, we took our little party to the beach. Jess & me tried our best to get security to let us all swim in the Gulf, but he was having none of it, as if the Sheraton owns the Gulf!! Ripped off!! We all ventured up to our rooms around 6am, just as the sun came up to get some sleep for Wild Wadi Waterpark on Saturday...
We managed to get to Wild Wadi around midday with plans to stay there all day before flying back to Doha at 9pm. Spent most of the day floating on tubes, the guys falling asleep with Andy's hotel sleepers over there faces. Awesome views from one of the best rides there...
Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Last Thursday after work Jess, Nath, Andy, Dunlop & Murray headed over to Dubai for the weekend to meet up with Michael who’d been away gallivanting in Europe, very jealous! Anyway it was a fantastic weekend, we spent the first night at the coolest outside bar sitting on cushions drinking Moroccan Fantasy Cocktails & smoking shish. We didn’t have a big night as we were saving ourselves for “the ultimate” brunch at the Burj Al Arab on Friday morning, which was unreal!! The best views over Dubai and the best foods from around the world. The Wagyu Beef from Australia was definitely my favourite! Spent the afternoon on the beach before heading into the Mall of Emirates to ski at the indoor snow slope! After rolling & stacking several times down the beginner slope, Michael & Andy gave me the courage to hit the big one! Had a few more stacks but managed to master it(sort of) in the end! It was very surreal, at the top of the slope there's a green fire exit door!